Another surprise from Mount Diablo:
Volcanoes near Clayton?
Members of a conservation group scouting land to buy were surprised to learn this year that dome-shaped hills on Mount Diablo’s eastern flanks are volcanic — the result of magma rushing through cracks and veins in the Earth’s crust.
The public is invited to take part in two hikes to visit a volcanic dome in Perkins Canyon on the east side of Mt. Diablo State Park. The hikes are from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday and Oct. 8. There is no fee, but Save Mount Diablo requests that participants RSVP in advance by calling 925-947-3535. Hikers will meet at the park-and-ride lot at Peacock Creek Drive and Clayton Road in Clayton.
Trailhead: Room for 2-3 cars, west side Morgan Territory Rd, a half mile south of Marsh Creek Rd, just past the mercury mine tailing pond (across from 2727 MTR) Trails: Ray Morgan Road, Perkins Creek Trail Distance: 2 miles R/T plus side trips Elevation Gain/Loss: 305’ minimum
Time: 1-3 hours Notes: Great evening hike, no facilities, sun sets early below North Peak, creeks flow later, mosquitoes and ticks during the wet season and avoidable poison oak.
Back from the first summer camping trip and what a nice surprise it was! We knew Mount Diablo is a beautiful place and we’ve camped there before, but that time we discovered only the tip of the mountain … which we actually touched in the Summit Museum now! We also hiked the Mary Bowerman Interpretive Trail, sections of the Trail through Time and rediscovered Rock City with kids, this is a place to come back to!
G U I D E S
- Mount Diablo Interpretative Association
- Mount Diablo State Park
- Mount Diablo Views | The Diablo is in the details
- Save Mount Diablo
H I K E S
- Hiking Trails of Mt Diablo | Trail Through Time: A JOURNEY THROUGH 180 MILLION YEARS OF GEOLOGIC TIME
- Exploring Mt. Diablo State Park (pdf)
- Mount Diablo’s Grand Loop
- Mount Diablo Through Macedo Ranch
- Viewfinder: Mount Diablo Stars in New Book
- Mt. Diablo Summit Trail to Rock City | Hike to Rock City
- Hikes on Mount Diablo in Spring – Eagle Peak – Rock City – Waterfalls – Weekend Sherpa
V I D E O